Public policy, social issues, gender politics, religion, civitas, and other taboo topics fall under the hammer of Shava's iconoclasmic force of natural philosophy.


























 
Archives
<< current













 
the requisite out of date homepage

the old day job

HIRE ME PLEASE! I'm poor and I hope it's temporary...

the rss feed

discuss the blog, get posts via email




























Unpopular Nonfiction
by Shava Nerad
 

Sins of omission

Saturday, August 06, 2005 9:15 AM  
Sometimes, what you don't say is more important than what you do.

Right now, the Unitarian Univesalist Association is being questioned by some lay and clerical leadership on a number of fronts, two of which are "Why is the UUA so expensive?" and "What are we really *for* as a movement, anyway?"

I have my own answers to these questions that I've spoken before, but to a smaller interested audience. The answers I have are cynical but well founded. All established religion has faults.

There may be no one in the world with the same background in anthropology, history of religious ideas, organizational dynamics, marketing, and with a personal experience of the transitions in youth culture in the church around the time I graduated high school. My perspective is cogent. When I talk to people about the issues, they are generally taken aback but find nothing to disagree with.

And, they would be ammunition for people who might want to tear down what remains of the Church I grew up in.

I used to, as a child, pity ex-Catholics, because I found them bitter and adrift. Perhaps as an adult I have more compassion. I am not sure you can be an *ex* UU. I certainly have the worldview. But I am more disillusioned with the church as I get older, rather than more comfortable with the current culture and structure of the denomination.

I used to also have a feeling of self-righteous indignation when I would find places where clergy knew damn well that there were problems in their churches, their districts, the denomination, some committee -- and didn't talk about them publicly. But I think I am starting to understand that better too.

Speaking truth to power or airing dirty linen? I have no solutions, but I have a cogent analysis of the problems. Would it help tear down without building, or would it help others understand questions to find solutions I can't see?



Comments:
If you are alone, call this number 800-211-9293. Connect with Real Singles from your local area instantly for only $0.99/min with a $4.99 connection fee. A true Match is only one phone call away 800-211-9293. Meet people with common interests and desires now. Check it out. 800-211-9293
 
Post a Comment
 
This page is powered by Blogger.